[Paraview] vtkBlockColors legend should show correct sideset IDs

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 16:59:13 EDT 2015

Hi,

I am testing the new vtkBlockColors feature in the latest Paraview (I
am using 0a4ad038370beb6d30f51f43e32555b3adcea123), as introduced in
the blog post: http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/859

Currently the legend shows colors with numbers 0-6. However, many
times the sidesets in an ExodusII file are not labeled like that. I am
attaching a screenshot with an example. As you can see, both the
Properties as well as Multi-block Inspector shows the correct side set
ID numbers (1, 5, 10, 15), but the vtkBlockColors legend shows numbers
0-6.

Note that if I color by vtkCompositeIndex, the legend shows the
correct side set ID, but the problem is that it's a continuous legend,
and the colors are close to each other, so it's hard (essentially
impossible) to tell what the ID is from the color.

I understand the user case when there is thousands of blocks. But I
think there is also a use case when there is relatively few (~10)
boundary conditions, and you just want to see them all at once using a
legend, so that you can take a screenshot and send it to somebody.
Maybe there can be some check-box that would switch the two modes of
the legend.

Currently the best way seems to be to use vtkBlockColors, and then
send a screenshot that includes the Multi-block Inspector window,
which also shows the colors and proper IDs.

There is also the issue of Block ID versus Side Set ID (as a side set
can have the same id as a block set), I usually turn one or the other
off in Multi-block Inspector, then they are not mixed.

Let me know what you think.

Ondrej