[Paraview] Vector Glyph with FieldData

ABE Hiroshi habe36 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 03:22:42 EST 2015

Dear All,

I am new to the ParaView.
The software is quite nice and I can use it without any problems in many cases.
But I get a trouble in rendering 2D vector with my vtk file which contains “Field Data” that is:

# vtk DataFile Version 2.0
mag.vtk, Created by Freefem++
ASCII
DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID
POINTS 46764 float
…
FIELD FieldData 1
mag.field 2 94956 float
2.45639014e+00 -6.87174034e+00 1.62697911e+00 -8.08913136e+00
…

This is actually 2D FEM magnetic field data (Hx, Hy) produced by FreeFem++.

Then select “mag.vtk” in Pipeline Browser and click Glyph icon in the ParaView menu to see some weird Arrow in RenderView window.
I expect something in “Vectors” in "Active Attributes” in “Properties” panel but the menu is empty.

I would be really obliged if you could tell me the missing things in my procedure to show vector field with Arrow Glyph.

My Env. is :

iMac 21.5 inch Late 2013 (16GB main memory, Core i5 2.9GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M)
Mac OS X 10.9.5
ParaView 4.3.1 64 bit

And I have some documents,

ParaViewTutorial42.pdf