[Paraview] Find Data at first timestep to use as selection

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Tue Mar 3 10:25:36 EST 2015

Hi there

I have particle data, which I read with the H5PartReader plugin
I need to extract the particles whose distances from an x axis offset are within a given threshold on the first timestep, and then follow only these as time goes on.

the first thing is trivial. I use a python calculator to compute the distance as in

pythonCalculator1 = PythonCalculator()
pythonCalculator1.Expression = 'abs(inputs[0].Points[:,0]-1900)'  # x axis offset is 1900
pythonCalculator1.ArrayName = 'diff'

then I use FindData with

diff <= 200   # 200 is the threshold.

that also works fine.

What I cannot make work is the 'Freeze Selection' which is supposed to freeze the currently selected elements by IDs. The Extract Selection input text correctly show

Type: Id Selection
Elements; points
process ID Index

but the selection is always an empty set.

Has anyone gotten that [Freeze selection] to work?