[Paraview] Creating a vtp file

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Jul 2 07:40:12 EDT 2015

Hi Norman,

To set point data, you can first get the point data object with

vtkPointData* pointData = polydata->GetPointData();

Then you can add arrays to it:

vtkFloatArray* myArrray = vtkFloatArray::New();
myArray->SetName("myArray");
myArray->SetNumberOfComponents(1);
myArray->SetNumberOfTuples(polydata->GetNumberOfPoints());
// Set array elements here...

pointData->AddArray(myArray);

The same holds true for cell data, just replace PointData with CellData,
and set the number of tuples to the number of cells instead of the number
of points.

Hope this helps,

Cory

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 1:57 AM, Norman Goldstein <normvcr at telus.net> wrote:

>  From net examples and on-line docs, I have gleaned some of the info to
> create a full 1-piece vtp file:
>
> Call
> vtkXMLPolyDataWriter::SetInputData( vtkDataObject
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkDataObject.html> *)
>
> where you pass in a vtkPolyData, which you first set up with the methods:
>
> SetVerts
> SetLines
> SetPolys
> SetStrips
>
> and the parent method
>
> SetPoints
>
> What I have not figured out is how to set the vtp fields
> PointData and CellData
>
> Any pointers much appreciated ...

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer