[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Plotting data to an existing model's surface

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Jan 23 16:24:56 EST 2015

After you

1) get the list of points and values in the csv file:
x,y,z,val1,val2,…
2) read into paraview and converted from a table to a vtkpointset as Alan
suggested
3) try the vtkSurfaceReconstruction filter to convert it into a mesh.
That isn't exposed in ParaView (maybe not parallel aware) so use this
python programmable filter to do use it:

import vtk

pdi = self.GetPolyDataInput()

subf1 = vtk.vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter()

subf1.SetInputData(pdi)

subf2 = vtk.vtkContourFilter()

subf2.SetInputConnection(subf1.GetOutputPort())

subf2.SetValue(0, 0.0)

subf2.Update()

pdo =  self.GetPolyDataOutput()

pdo.ShallowCopy(subf2.GetOutput())

ParaView will then happily interpolate values across the faces of the mesh

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive