[Paraview] Numerical Schlieren In Paraview

Neal,Christopher R chrisneal at ufl.edu
Fri Feb 27 14:51:53 EST 2015

Hi,

I would like to compute a numerical schlieren field from a density field in Paraview.  The schlieren variable would just be the magnitude of the density gradient computed at each cell center in the data set.  I have been able to compute a basic schlieren dataset by using the Paraview filter "Gradient of Unstructured DataSet".  However I would like to do something like the following.

1.) Compute density gradients.

2.) Compute the magnitude of the gradients.

3.) Normalize the gradient magnitudes by the maximum value in the domain( so that the new variable goes from 0 to 1 )

4.) Store this new data as a new variable called 'Schlieren'

5.) Take the new schlieren variable and perform a second point-by-point operation on the data.

                NewSchlieren = exp( -k*oldSchlieren)

where k is a constant that I set.  This 5th operation just serves to sharpen the lines that are present in the oldSchlieren data set.

I'm thinking that I need to write some sort of programmable filter. I'm just not sure how I would actually perform point-by-point operations on the data sets.

Any guidance on how to read/operate on variables in the data set would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Christopher R. Neal
Graduate Student
Center for Compressible Multiphase Turbulence
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department
University of Florida
Cell: (863)-697-1958
E-mail:  chrisneal at ufl.edu