[Paraview] Plot calculator result over time

Dalla Piazza Thomas tdallapiazza at digger.ch
Thu Feb 26 04:18:16 EST 2015

Hi all,
I have a simple problem that is easy to reproduce. My objective is to
produce a plot of average temperature of a volume over time (simple heat
diffusion case). I'll take a straight forward example based on
laplacianfoam OpenFOAM case.

1) Run the case
2) Run Paraview and load the data for internalMesh region
3) select filter "Integrate variables" that produce integrated
temperature over the entire volume (Tv in the following) and integrated
volume over volume being the total region volume (Volume in the following)
4) select filter "Calculator"
5) based on cell data, compute averaged temperature of the volume
Tv/Volume (both results of integration filter)
6) select calculator result and choose filter "Plot selection over time"

Problem: Up to the calculator, everything looks fine. Integrated volume
is not changing over time, itegrated temperature is growing normally as
well as averaged temperature... But in the spreadsheet view of "Plot
selection over time", only the initial value at T=0 is right, for the
next time steps, volume is changing like randomly and averaged
temperature is completely messed up...

Is it a bug of "PlotSelectionOverTime" filter or did I made a mistake in
my procedure?

Thanks for any help,

          Thomas