[Paraview] Smooth seams in SILO files

David Ortley djortley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:13:39 EST 2015

Hello all,

We have a CFD code that generates silo files using the silo library.  For
each dump in the simulation, there are multiple files per dump (one file
per processor) and a single master file.

When we use Visit to visualize a contour, the contours look good.  When
using Paraview (any version), there exist obvious seams at the file
boundaries.  To visualize in Paraview, we use the 'CellDatatoPointData'
filter followed by the 'Contour' filter.

I'm currently trying to track down if either Visit is magically healing
over a bug in our implementation, or if the problem lies with Paraview
somehow...or with how I'm trying to generate the contour (via the
'CellDatatoPointData' filter.)

It almost looks like Paraview is treating the edge of each file as if it
were an open boundary regardless of whether it is buttressed up against
another file.

Thanks for any help in this.

-David Ortley