[Paraview] Auto Rescale to Data Range in Animation

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Feb 17 14:07:56 EST 2015

My first advice is, don't rescale the color map over time. Such rescaling is extremely misleading, and this misses the whole point of visualization. If you turn on automatic rescaling in the situation you describe, then you'll get some blue and red coloring to some other blue and red coloring with absolutely no indication that the average field value quintupled. You are throwing out the main trend to look at residuals. Instead, set a range that works well over all time. You can click on the "Rescale to Custom Range" button to set the color range to one that works over all time steps (e.g. 0 to 3). You may also want to change the color map to have better dynamic range, and you can do that by clicking the Edit Color Map button.

My second advice is, seriously, don't rescale the color map over time. If you open the color map editor, you can find a button that can automatically rescale the color map to cover all time steps. It can take a while for large data, but that does not sound like an issue with the data you describe.

My third advice is, OK, fine, if you really, really, really want to do this (and I still don't recommend this), you can go to ParaView settings (Edit -> Setting on Windows and Linux, ParaView -> Preferences on Mac) under the General tab there is a combo box for an option labeled "Color/Opacity Map Range Options." By default, the color range is only adjusted when you Apply a visualization (or explicitly change it, of course). You can change that behavior to also rescale whenever the time step changes.

-Ken