[Paraview] Paraview enabled VR Plugin not interacting via VRPN

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Wed Feb 11 09:06:00 EST 2015

Dear Hannah,

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Hannah Klinac <hfklinac at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aashish,
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply!
>
> 1) Yes it is a valid VRPN server, and the vrpn.cfg file is set up
> correctly. When I run vrpn_print_devices with "Mouse0 at localhost" as the
> argument I get correct button and analog feedback. I have read that in the
> VR Plugin, the address should be "<device>@<hostname/IP>", therefore
> Mouse0 at localhost should be correct.

RIght that is correct.

> 2) I am unsure of what to do for the interaction in the VR Plugin, there
> doesn't seem to be a lot of options available, is there some sort of
> example configuration you could give me as a starter? I do not have access
> to a tracker, is interaction achievable without one?

We don't have many options. We only have two stylee: One used for the
tracker and another one to use the tracker data to navigate around.

> Basically I just want to be able to move the camera, or interact with an
> object using devices through the VRPN. I am starting with the mouse
> (Mouse0) because I know it works on other applications and on the VRPN, so
> I am assuming the trouble I am having is with my Paraview configuration.

Sure, What you can do is look at the TrackerStyle class. You can very
easily add a new style class that can respond to mouse clicks or anything
else. The current style won't work in your configuration because it needs
tracker and 3 buttons for navigation.

> After I have set up simple interaction with the mouse I will move onto
> other devices that VRPN supports, such as the 5DT Data Gloves. And an
> example of the interaction I want is to be able to turn the camera left
> when the mouse moves left, right when it moves right, forward, backward,
> and to be able to grab the object on click.

That would be great. I am willing to help you if you are willing to share
the code and add a new class to ParaView. Please let me know.

- Aashish