[Paraview] Catalyst: simulation steering during In-Situ visualization

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Wed Dec 2 12:02:28 EST 2015

Hi Alexandre,

I don't know if this is possible or not with Catalyst, hopefully somebody else comes along to answer that.

But, we did this in our code using signal handling and POSIX signals (see http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/signal.7.html). We define 3 behaviors in our code -- reload the input file and change simulation behavior accordingly; create a restart file at the next available chance and keep running; create a restart file and exit immediately. We use SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 for the first two options and then we use SIGTERM for the last behavior. This is helpful because most queue systems on HPC clusters will send SIGTERM 60 seconds before your wall-time is about to run out, so catching that signal and using it to write a restart file and exit means we always get our data right before our job runs out of time.

Signals can be sent locally using `kill` or can be sent through PBS using `qsig`. It works quite nicely.

Tim