[Paraview] Catalyst: simulation steering during In-Situ visualization

Alexandre Ancel alexandre.ancel at cemosis.fr
Wed Dec 2 11:47:59 EST 2015

Hello,

We are currently using Catalyst for In-Situ visualization in the context of
our finite element library and it is working very well.

We would like to implement simulation steering while using Catalyst.
The idea would consist in having a ParaView plugin that we load in the
ParaView client. Within the code of this plugin, we would like to send data
to the simulation code to modify its behavior.

First question: Is it possible to do so ?
Then, How would the whole process be run ?
The ideal scenario would be the following:
- Launch ParaView & connect to the distant pverver & enable Catalyst
- Load the plugin in ParaView
- Launch the simulation
- Receive data until timestep N then stop the simulation
- Send data to the simulation through the loaded plugin
- Continue with the simulation
Would it be possible to do so ? If yes, could you give me keypoints about
how to do this ?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Best regards,
Alexandre Ancel

--
Alexandre Ancel
Docteur, Ingénieur de recherche / Phd, Research Engineer
Cemosis <http://www.cemosis.fr> - alexandre.ancel at cemosis.fr
Tel: +33 (0)3 68 8*5 02 06*
IRMA - 7, rue René Descartes
67 000 Strasbourg, France