[Paraview] smoothing isosurfaces on unstructured grids

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Aug 14 13:17:51 EDT 2015

Stefan,

Delaunay 3D will give you the convex hull of the points in your isosurface,
which likely isn't what you want.

Try the Extract Surface filter on your file first, then apply the Smooth
filter.

HTH,
Cory

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Stefan Ringe <stefan.ringe.tum at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am using unstructured grid files of format x y z f(x,y,z) (so 4 columns
> of data points) which I import as VTK particle data. I want to plot a
> smooth isosurface. I already tried the Delaunay3d, but there are 2 main
> problems with it. 1. it seems to cut off hills of my surface and create
> straigt lines to combine the top of the hills, so that in the end it looks
> like there are really large areas on the surface spanning from one hill to
> the other. 2. my function is also not that smooth so I would like to smooth
> the result in the end. However the smooth filter is greyed out, if I select
> my data file or the Delaunay3d input,
>
> Stefan

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer