[Paraview] HOWto create / extend sources?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Sep 29 08:46:12 EDT 2014

> a) How to create a new source ("MyNewSource")

You define the 'proxy' under the "sources" group, rather than filters.
It will automatically show up in the Menu. Look at sources.xml under
[1] to see other source proxy definitions.

> b) How can I extend an existing source (box, sphere, etc.) with new
> properties and methods ("MyBox, "MySphere").

Similar to the filters, you basically need to write a new VTK
algorithm with these new methods. You can subclass the existing VTK
source. Looking at sources.xml, you can find out which proxy using
which VTK algorithm, e.g. "SphereSource" (labelled as "Sphere") uses
"vtkSphereSource". After adding the methods on the VTK algorithm, next
part is exposing those methods as properties using the XML.

[1] https://github.com/Kitware/ParaView/tree/master/ParaViewCore/ServerManager/SMApplication/Resources