[Paraview] Odd behavior of XDMF files with 3DCORECTMesh

Armin Wehrfritz dkxls23 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 07:38:55 EDT 2014

Hi,

I lately started to write my data in HDF5/XDMF files. This works so far
very well for unstructured data using TopologyType="Mixed" and Polygon
cells, but I have some trouble with structured grids.

I attached a very simple VTK file, which is correctly visualized in
ParaView. More precisely, the DIMENSIONS keyword specifies the
dimensions in X Y Z direction and the SPACING and POINT_DATA keywords
are specified accordingly.

Opening the VTK file in ParaView and exporting the data as XDMF leads to
an XDMF file with dimensions and the spacing is in reverse order (Z Y
X), where seemingly the data is written in the same order as in the VTK
file.
Is this intended or a bug?
Just to note, the data from the ParaView-created XDMF and the original
VTK file are displayed consistently.

When I however manually converter the VTK to a XDMF file with
dimensions, spacing and data specified as in the VTK file, I get a
completely wrong representation in ParaView.
Seemingly, in the "Topology" element the "Dimensions" keyword specifies
the dimensions in Z Y X direction, which I thing is rather odd.
The whole thing gets then completely messed up when specifying the data.

Am I doing something wrong when manually creating the XDMF file or is
this a bug?

Best regards,
Armin

--