[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Re: BOX -> volume?

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 14 19:17:39 EDT 2014

Hi Alan,

That is a different issue. You're  seeing that warning because your Mesa
build is missing floating point support. Some of the older releases
didn't have it, however newer releases do. It's always been a build
option that's off by default because of patent issues, so you need to
expeictly enable it when compiling mesa. The intention behind that (in
hindsight annoying)  warning is to alert you are using an ancient
version of mesa and or that you may have not built mesa with floating
point support. At the time the warning seemed reasonable to me since
without floating point support the projected tets algorithm *could
produce precision related artifacts depending on data and rendering
parameters and downloading and installing a newer mesa (or simply
recompiling your existing mesa build with floating point support
enabled) is a relatively easy fix. For me I'd rather know that there's
potentially a problem and update mesa, rather than scratch my head about
why there are artifacts in my rendering.

With regard to the current thread and Bertwim's issue with ATI GPU, I
think the code is currently doing the right thing because projected tets
algorithm hangs on the ATI card.

A workaround if you have an ATI card is to set the "select mapper" to
"Bunyk ray cast"

Burlen