[Paraview] FW: sideset ids in paraview

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Wed Nov 12 22:57:29 EST 2014

Hi Alan,

> We are working with a large mesh that has side sets defined by string names and
> not integer values.  Does Paraview assign an integer if value to the side set and if so,
> how does it assign the id and is there a way to extract that from paraview?
> Thanks!

The Exodus reader generates a multiblock dataset with one toplevel block containing all the side sets. The index of a side set inside that toplevel block is an integer and can be obtained in a Python programmable filter. The advantage of this is that it's cheap, storage-wise. The disadvantage is that the index will vary depending on what side sets you choose to load.

The Exodus reader can also provide a cell array identifying the side set ID (an integer stored in the Exodus file). See

  http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=IO/Exodus/vtkExodusIIReader.h;h=10de0366f262732d333ba45187917228d428c21e;hb=HEAD#l112

for more information. I believe this is exposed in ParaView, but forget what the button is called... it used to be "Generate ObjectIds" but someone  decided that was unclear and was going to change it to something that *I* think is unclear. :-)

The advantage of the generated IDs is that they do not vary depending on what you choose to load. The disadvantage is that it is not stored on the block, but on each cell in the block, so it takes up a lot of memory.

    David