[Paraview] Vorticity is calculated as zero

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at gmail.com
Wed May 21 19:29:43 EDT 2014

> Indeed, my smaller mesh had linear triangles. And changing that to
> quadratic triangles gives the same behavior (attachment).
I experimented a bit with the data you send and there does seem to be a
problem with the quadratic triangles. However, I found that with linear
triangles the result is correct.

One thing I noticed about your test data is this velocity field is a
special case <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex#Vorticity_profiles> ,
where v increases proportional with distance to vortex center. For this
case vorticity is a constant. This means in PV you'll just see a single
color in the plot, so it looks the same for both linear(good result) and
quadratic triangles(bad result). This is something to be aware of!

> The reason why I wanna use the vorticity function is the following:
> eddies appear all over the domain and using lines with the
> streamtracer filter gives regions with either no streamlines or
> regions that are very much crowded by streamlines. Therefore, having a
> vorticity field would be a suitable approach to have a nice and clean
> visualization of the flow field.
In addition to visualizing vorticity the LIC visualization technique may
be useful for you as well.
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Line_Integral_Convolution

Burlen