[Paraview] Manage Plugin issues with auto-load

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Thu May 15 05:08:19 EDT 2014

hello

I have multiple production machines where PV is installed, some with GPUs, some with mesa-rendering. Even so, operating systems differ on the different machines.

The problem I have is that PV is installed in application directories on a filesystem shared by all production machines. And when using the auto-load feature of Manage Plugin, I often have conflicts, or even crashes when establishing a connection. For example:

Wrong tag but don't know how to handle it... 188971
Aborted (core dumped)

I use reverse-connection to connect to all production machines. My servers.pvsc file has multiple entries, each one looking like

<Server name="Reverse-Connect-Cluster1" resource="csrc://">
</Server>
<Server name="Reverse-Connect-Cluster2" resource="csrc://">
</Server>
<Server name="Reverse-Connect-Cluster3" resource="csrc://">
</Server>

what I am finding out is that my desktop init file "ParaView4.1.0.ini" remembers which plugins to auto-load based on a tag composed of "csrc://port"

thus, when using the default port 11111 for all connections, I am loading the plugins referred to under "csrc://11111" regardless of the cluster's name. This causes conflicts or crashes on connecting.

seems like a fix for a single user would be to always use different port numbers for each production machine. But then I don't know how to generalize this for all users in the Computing Center.

Any tip on how to avoid conflicts with port numbers and reverse connection, and ensuring that auto-load works properly would be welcome.

TIA