[Paraview] Is Paraview the right program?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Mar 25 14:31:28 EDT 2014

I would only use an ASCII-based format if the data are small, but I
usually use the VTK legacy format as a quick-and-dirty approach. I find it
a bit easier to generate and read than the XML formats. If you get to the
point of creating larger or parallel meshes, you probably want to move to
a binary HDF5 format as Armin suggests.

At any rate, you can get documentation for both the VTK legacy and VTK XML
formats in this document:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/images/5/51/VTK-File-Formats.pdf

Hope that helps.

-Ken