[Paraview] Is Paraview the right program?

Armin Wehrfritz dkxls23 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 10:47:35 EDT 2014

Hi,

ParaView offers you a lot of visualisation and data handling options, so
yes definitely the right choice. :)

Concerning the file format:
The VTK data-structures are well suited for such kind of data, however I
personally find the learning curve of VTK rather steep. Meaning, it
might be quite difficult to get started with this task.

An alternative is to used a HDF5/XDMF file format. I got a simple HDF5
writer rather quickly implemented, there are good tutorials on the web,
and I generate the XDMF file in a post-processing step with a python
script. (ParaView supports XDMF files very well.)
Oh and yes, you can read HDF5 files conveniently with Matlab and Python too.

In any case both options, HDF5/XDMF or VTK, are better than plain
ascii-files. ;)

Regards,
Armin

P.S.: Which language do you write the FEM program in?