[Paraview] On further investigating the VRPlugin

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Mar 6 09:01:34 EST 2014

Hi Emiliano,

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Emiliano Pastorelli <hogancito at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
> I managed to achieve an almost optimal configuration of screens and
> tracked devices on a small 3-screens display (through vrpn only yet, I use
> a razer hydra to track the wands interaction and a wintrackerIII for the
> head position).
> Now with all of that properly configured, i had a chance to test more in
> detail the vrplugin.
>
> My feeling is that it's based on a couple of wrong assumptions.
> One above all, it's based on the origin of the scene. That means that if
> you're moving you're object a bit around (and i've seen most of the users
> do it a lot), at a certain point the head movement goes wrong.

it depends on whether or not object is in front of the project plane or
behind. depending on your configuration it may be feel its moving quite a
bit. As a test move your object's center on the project plane Z and it
should rotate around that point.

> If I try with a simple cylinder built on the origin, and i bring it on the
> 0,0,0 of my system (defined in the cave file in relation to my screens
> potions), then the head movements are correct.
> If my move my head to the left, i see the object correctly "rotating" so
> to show me his right side (considering the cylinder facing me) and it
> slides to its own left a bit as it should (therefore also moving properly
> among the screens as well).
> But if i push the cylinder back a bit, cause maybe i wanna have a look at
> it in smaller size, then i move the head to my left, the object also moves
> to the left, in a completely wrong behavior.
> Shouldnt therefore the 0 of the tracker always be based on the 0 of the
> system and not on the 0 of the scene?
>
> Also, the translation with the wand works well, it's natural to be used,
> but the rotation axis, move with each consecutive rotation of the scene,
> and therefore, if i first rotate on one axis the scene, the second rotation
> is gonna be based on the already transformed axis system, and soon it will
> become completely unnatural (not a single test user i had on the system
> felt confident with it).

I see. Sorry, we couldn't send you the latest code. I am still waiting for
our collaborator to push the code we had. I believe this is fixed in there.

> I see that not many people are using paraview in VR environments, but i
> think with the proper adjustments it could really become a popular tool,
> specially in low cost VR systems like mine (thanks to the fact that doesn't
> require any expensive lib to run).

Thanks. On this note, please feel free to push your changes / patches to
ParaView Gerritt or over the email. I am more than happy to review them.

> One last thing, i'm running paraview on a single 16-cores machine with 4
> Nvidia4000 (one for each screen, each with 2 DLP projectors and one for the
> control displays), and specially when i deal with volume visualization,  it
> tends to be even slower than when i run it single screen in my other simple
> test machine that only has a 4-core and nvidia 600. Is there any known
> reason for that?

I am surprised that volume rendering is working for you in the VR
environment correctly. Did you choose smart mapper for the volume
rendering?

- Aashish