[Paraview] paraview & HDF5/XDMF: how to control memory usage?

Jason Fleming jason.fleming at seahorsecoastal.com
Tue Jun 10 15:36:23 EDT 2014

Hello

I would also like to that it is great to hear that a next generation XDMF
reader is in the works for Paraview. I've used XDMF files very successfully
with Paraview; both manually generated XML to go with NetCDF4 as well as
HDF5/XML files generated using the XDMF2 API.

The only rough spot I've had with the existing Paraview XDMF reader is that
it seems to use more and more memory when generating a time series
animation. If the dataset is large enough, the Paraview process will
eventually run out of memory. I have an unchanging unstructured mesh with
nodally centered data and a temporal collection with one XML file and one
heavy data file containing all time steps.

I can provide a link to full size data files if that helps the
development/test process.

Cheers
Jason

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 3:05 AM, Favre Jean <jfavre at cscs.ch> wrote:

> Allow me to add my 2 cents to this thread, since Dave talks about a new
> generation xdmf reader/writer in the making.
>
> I too use a series of files for each timestep ( one XMF file and one HDF5
> file per step), since I have discovered that creating temporal collections
> does not work correctly if the grid resolution changes over the timesteps.
> I have a multi-resolution simulation. The grid starts at low res., then the
> resolution steadily increases. Using a temporal collection in XDMF, the
> grid resolution of the first grid in the temporal collection is used
> throughout the full time series. I see my data is read correctly, but is
> truncated by the lowest resolution bounds.
>
> I hope this gets fixed with the new reader.
> TIA.

> Jean/CSCS

Dr. Jason G. Fleming
Chief Engineer, Seahorse Coastal Consulting
3103 Mandy Ln
Morehead City, NC 28557
Tel: (252) 726-6323
Mobile: (252) 269-0962