[Paraview] CUDA dependency issue when building ParaView 4.1.0-RC2 on Mac

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri Jan 3 14:47:39 EST 2014

Burlen,

CUDA is confusing more people than not. Also it's adding too many
variables. A cleanup to FindCUDA.cmake is certainly in the order.
Until then, I propose we swicth SQTK_CUDA variable to do a
find_package(CUDA) only if SQTK_CUDA is enabled. What do you think?
BTW, I want to tag the release soon, so we should try to keep changes
to a minimal at this point.

Utkarsh

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Burlen Loring <bloring at lbl.gov> wrote:
> Hey Patrick and Ben, Thanks for the feedback.
>
> In this case I think it's confusing to be dumped into a separate ccmake
> screen. I'd say it's really an issue in the FindCUDA.cmake module, which
> does
>
>  message("CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR not found or specified")
>
> according to the documentation a naked message command is supposed to mean
> "Important information". In this case it's not. I think this message should
> probably be downgraded to STATUS type. just my 2 cents.
>
> At any rate, we could avoid the problem in PV if in the plugin we used
>
> find_package(CUDA QUIET)
>
> but initially all the cuda stuff, including find_package, was controlled by
> a cache variable so that this confusing behavior could be avoided and I
> wouldn't have to use the QUIET option because when you're actually trying to
> configure for cuda the output is helpful if things go wrong.
>
> Burlen
>

> On 01/02/2014 02:01 PM, Benjamin Spencer wrote:
>
> You're right.  I didn't realize this was just an informational message, and
> not an error that has to be resolved.  After I hit that message the first
> time, then configure a second time and hit that message again, I can
> successfully generate the makefile.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Patrick O'Leary <patrick.oleary at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Ben and Burlen,
>>
>> On my Mac Book Pro with NVidia card, I received the same informational
>> message but it builds if I exit the informational screen with 'e' and hit
>> 'g'.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Patrick
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Burlen Loring <bloring at lbl.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Benjamin,
>>>
>>> This is of interest to me as I haven't been involved in the recent plugin
>>> changes and need to look through them more closely.
>>>
>>> You reported an informational message that is not an error. Could you
>>> report the actual error?
>>>
>>> btw, I also see the message on my ATI based system, but it doesn't
>>> prevent me from building. For example in ccmake I can press "e" to exit the
>>> informational screen where the message is displayed and then hit "g" to
>>> generate the make files and go on to compile without issue.
>>>
>>> Burlen
>>>

>>> On 01/02/2014 12:41 PM, Benjamin Spencer wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to build ParaView 4.1.0-RC2 from source on Mac OS (10.8.5).
>>> This machine does not have CUDA installed (and has no nvidia graphics
>>> hardware).
>>>
>>> When running ccmake, I get this error:
>>>
>>> CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR not found or specified
>>>
>>> This seems to be coming from the call:
>>> find_package(CUDA)
>>> in