[Paraview] CUDA dependency issue when building ParaView 4.1.0-RC2 on Mac

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Thu Jan 2 17:33:56 EST 2014

Hey Patrick and Ben, Thanks for the feedback.

In this case I think it's confusing to be dumped into a separate ccmake
screen. I'd say it's really an issue in the FindCUDA.cmake module, which
does

  message("CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR not found or specified")

according to the documentation a naked message command is supposed to
mean "Important information". In this case it's not. I think this
message should probably be downgraded to STATUS type. just my 2 cents.

At any rate, we could avoid the problem in PV if in the plugin we used

find_package(CUDA QUIET)

but initially all the cuda stuff, including find_package, was controlled
by a cache variable so that this confusing behavior could be avoided and
I wouldn't have to use the QUIET option because when you're actually
trying to configure for cuda the output is helpful if things go wrong.

Burlen