[Paraview] undefined reference to `gzopen64' when building ParaView on Titan with PrgEnv-gnu/4.2.34

Hong Yi hongyi at renci.org
Tue Feb 25 17:40:06 EST 2014

I have successfully built ParaView (version 4.0.1) for our in-situ visualization using the previous default PrgEnv-gnu environment with gcc 4.7.2 last year, and is currently trying to build it again with the updated default PrgEnv-gnu environment PrgEnv-gnu/4.2.34 with gcc 4.8.2, and run into "undefined reference to gzopen64" errors at the final linking phase. Then I discovered I am linking to /usr/lib64/libz.a which only contains gzopen (i.e., does not contain gzopen64), hence the error. In the previously successful build, ParaView libs are linked to gzopen in libz.a, hence no problem. But for some reason, with the new built environment, ParaView libs are now looking to link to gzopen64, hence resulting the undefined reference linking error. ParaView source and CMake files and configurations are all same between the two builds, the only difference is the build environment. After some investigation, it seems to have something to do with _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE macro definition, but I have not found anything suspicious that could cause this problem. Emailing the list in case someone has built ParaView on Titan with updated default environment PrgEnv-gnu/4.2.34 with gcc 4.8.2 and has some suggestions on fixing this linking error to make ParaView link to gzopen rather than gzopen64?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Regards,

Hong