[Paraview] rendering large data sets

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Sun Feb 16 14:00:27 EST 2014

As a first step, vtp is a serial format. Even though ParaView will
redistribute it after loading, the first process still has to load the
entire dataset. I am guessing that it is pretty large and does not (or
barely) fit in memory? I would start with partitioning the data at
write time into multiple vtp files and then use a vtm file to point to
those files. pvtp would work too but at this point, vtm is probably
the better choice since it does not force piece to be merged within
each process. Once you have a vtm file, you should be able to load it.
I would start with limiting glyph to fewer glyphs and see if you can
get it to work in a reasonable time.

Best,
-berk