[Paraview] Load state error with MPAS Ocean NetCDFReader data type

Wolfram, Phillip J pwolfram at lanl.gov
Fri Feb 14 13:47:34 EST 2014

Dear Paraview Mailing list,

I am a developer on the MPAS-Ocean project and we are having trouble with saved states in Paraview corresponding to loading the netcdf (*.nc) data file, loading and plotting a variable (say kineticEnergyCell), saving the state as a psvm file, and then reloading it.  At a minimum, the plotted quantity is not accessible and it doesn't appear that the data structure for MPAS-O is reloaded properly.  This is the simplest reproducible error.  John and Boonth (cc'd) recommended I email this list with this issue.

A link to the files for debugging/ testing is https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4a0b056ks3i30r/mpaso_paraview.tgz.

A work-around is to simply save the variables of interest as  unstructured vtku files, but this is an imperfect solution (if only because multiple vtku files in time then become required).  If vtku files are utilized there is no problem with the save/load state function.

My present configuration is ParaView 4.1.0 64-bit for mac via the dmg installer (ParaView-4.1.0-Darwin-64bit.dmg).

Thanks for taking a look at this and please let me know if you have additional questions,

Phillip

Phillip Wolfram
(505) 667-7744

Postdoc Research Associate