[Paraview] error loading binary XML file

Mikhail Artemyev artemiev.mikhail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 17:24:59 EST 2014

Dear all,

I wrote two simple Matlab scripts to output data in a XML format (this
is VTS - for structured grids). In the attached scripts the structured
mesh is 2x2, the values to be visualized are all ones. The only
difference is that one script outputs the data in ASCII format, another
- in binary one. Using ParaView for visualization of the ASCII file is
nice, while with binary data I get the following error:

ERROR: In
/home/kitware/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/IO/XMLParser/vtkXMLParser.cxx,
line 483
vtkXMLDataParser (0x54bcd40): Error parsing XML in stream at line 7,
column 0, byte index 277: not well-formed (invalid token)

ERROR: In
/home/kitware/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/IO/XML/vtkXMLReader.cxx,
line 444
vtkXMLStructuredGridReader (0x54c2e60): Error parsing input file.
ReadXMLInformation aborting.

ERROR: In
/home/kitware/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkExecutive.cxx,
line 783
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x54c82d0): Algorithm
vtkXMLStructuredGridReader(0x54c2e60) returned failure for request:
vtkInformation (0x54daea0)
   Debug: Off
   Modified Time: 154273
   Reference Count: 1
   Registered Events: (none)
   Request: REQUEST_INFORMATION
   FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
   ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1

I can't figure out where the problem is. Searching in the Internet also
didn't give me a clue. What am I doing wrong?

I use ParaView 4.2.0 64-bit on Linux Mint.

Thank you,
Mikhail