[Paraview] Bugs with pvti and pvd

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Sat Dec 6 11:01:47 EST 2014

This is a very interesting bug. First the quick fix: uncheck vtkGhostLevels
for cells and points when loading the dataset.

Here is the explanation:

The pvti writer writes all inputs cells including the ghost ones. So, if
you look at the resulting vti files, there is an overlap. When the pvti
reader reads these files, it makes a decision to pick the overlapping cells
from one of the files - since they are ghosts, they should be identical and
it should not matter which one. Well it does matter because if it loads a
cell from a piece that marks it as ghost instead of the one that does not,
it will only have a ghost copy of the data in the output. Which is thrown
out by the geometry filter before rendering.

The issue with the unstructured grid is actually different. It seems like
there is a bug in the code where the ghost values are calculate for points.
It seems to be marking some of the outer boundary points as ghosts. The fix
for that is to not load vtkGhostLevels for points.

Both of these problems show up when you are writing the data after applying
a filter that causes the reader to generate ghost levels (the contour
filter probably). Which is why this was not caught earlier. Thank you for
reporting it.

I will work on a fix and a set of tests, hopefully for 4.3.

Best,
-berk