[Paraview] SWKey: Does the PV EnSight reader accept global data?

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Sat Apr 19 14:35:43 EDT 2014

ParaView Users,

I have noticed that ParaView 4.1.0-64 on its third tool bar has a filter
button for "Plot Global Variables Over Time." The simulation software
that I run has global variables total KE, total IE, et cetera.

To date, the simulation software produces EnSight 'Gold'
binary-formatted results file sets. To get plots of global variables
over time, I have contemplated writing code to create an additional
EnSight results file set that has a single-vertex cell to which all of
the global variables are assigned. Such an approach would be efficient
to capture every-time-step results.

However, I would like to be able to put global variables in a single
EnSight results file set if for no other reason than to make the
management of simulation results easier.

The question is -- Does the EnSight Gold binary-formatted reader in
Paraview accept global variables?

Maybe the first question should be -- Does the EnSight Gold format have
a place for global variables?

Sam Key
FMA Development, LLC
1005 39th Ave NE