[Paraview] Field average in Paraview

Wang, Zhixin Zhixin.Wang at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 10:33:28 EDT 2014

Hi All,

Recently I have been playing with field average in Paraview but I got some problems.

Basically I am doing pipe flow simulation in OpenFOAM and I want to achieve both axial average and circumferential average.

First thing is I want to get a 2D averaged slice to represent the 3D field, like compressing the pipe into a single plane. My idea is to get multiple slices and then take the average of them so that I can obtain a 2D plane. Is there any way to do that in Paraview?

Second one is I want to get the mean velocity profile of the pipe. I created a calculator for radius (i.e. distances from the wall) and then applied contour based on the radius variable I created. By doing this I can get a circular slice at a specific radius every time. After that I applied integrate variable for the circular slice in order to get mean velocity at that radius. The thing is I need much data at different radius, so I need to integrate variable on different circular slices. However, when I use 'new range' to get multiple circular slices and apply integrate variable, I will only get one value for all the slices. My question is how can I get a list of integrated values on each sampled slice with creating all the slices at once?

Hope anyone can give me a hint. Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Tony