[Paraview] ParaView not building "pvserver"

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 30 12:59:47 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,

It sounds like you've not configured your build correctly.

> do I need to have PARAVIEW_USE_MPI
yes. it's Cray what's the point of running a serial build there?

> I'm using is MPICH 3.0.4, and I've compiled
> it myself
don't do that, :-). Better use highly optimized Cray MPT on Cray systems.

You need to set MPI_C_INCLUDE_PATH/MPI_CXX_INCLUDE_PATH and
MPI_C_LIBRARIES/MPI_CXX_LIBRARIES.

Make sure your using PrgEnv-gnu then you can dump the libraries and
paths that are used with "CC --verbose". Also CRAY_LD_LIBRARY_PATH can
be helpful for getting the right system paths.

> the
> Plugin's don't compile.
If you're trying to static link, that's a known issue and was just
recently fixed. IMO It's better to have them off when static linking
anyway, cause they'll *all* be automatically loaded on the server side
and you'll need to do the same in the client(or it will crash) which is
a bit of a pain, and confusing for new users.