[Paraview] ParaView 4.0.1 Opacity performance (UNCLASSIFIED)

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Sep 12 04:14:15 EDT 2013

Rick

I also had many problems working with transparency using paraview. My case was probably slightly different as the data is completely unstructured (I'm not familiar with CTH datasets), and the partitioning code in paraview was taking very long and executing repeatedly.

I'd like to write a long email to describe the work I've been doing on transparency for our meshes.... but
There is a section in this paper "Juan Hernando, John Biddiscombe, Bidur Bohara, Stefan Eilemann, Felix Schürmann: Practical Parallel Rendering of Detailed Neuron Simulations. EGPGV 2013: 49-56"
ftp://ftp.cscs.ch/out/biddisco/bbp/neurons-egpgv13.pdf
which describes the changes/plugins to paraview. Space was scarce so the writeup of the paraview part is not enough, but might give you a good overview of the work.

Most of the partitioning and fast rendering on GPU is available (albeit in experimental form) in the pv-zoltan plugin from here https://hpcforge.org/projects/pv-zoltan/

Feel free to ask questions if this might help you in your work.

JB