[Paraview] Which polygon file reader in Paraview has interface to show/hide separate segments?

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Tue Oct 8 11:23:31 EDT 2013

Jimmy,

I have attached a file named 'fmavto.pvd' that is an ASCII-text file. It
is a meta-file that references a series of XML-formatted *.vtu files.

ParaView reads the *.pvd file and then knows how to "assemble" the files
referenced within the *.pvd file. The important key-words in the *.pvd
files are 'timestep=...' and 'file=...' Note that the individual *.vtu
files contain the data needed for a displayable graphics object.

The key-word 'name=...' is gratuitous user-information. The key-word
'name=...' for a couple of ParaView versions around 2007 would pass this
user-information to the Extract Block filter; currently (PV version
4.0.1) the ASCII-text strings are no longer passed to the Extract Block
filter.

However, the Extract Block filter does reflect the structure implied by
the *.pvd file; the filter simply uses the ubiquitous and
not-very-helpful C-language off-set addresses of 0,1,2,3,... for the
block names.

Because of the large number of ASCII-text files that can be generated in
a transient dynamic simulation with multiple material domains using the
vtk-formats, sometime back I switched to the EnSight binary-formatted
output. In this format it is possible to provide names that will appear
in the Extract Block filter.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Sam Key