[Paraview] Which polygon file reader in Paraview has interface to show/hide separate segments?

Jimmy Chen migichen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 23:14:44 EDT 2013

Hello,

We generate several segments of polygonal meshes and our client wants
to store them into a single file and to view on Paraview.  Since the
data contains several pre-segmented mesh pieces, they want to view
each piece separately in Paraview. Is there a file format supporting
composite datasets and has a Paraview interface to show some of them?

We have looked into .vtp and .pvtp formats.
For .vtp XML format, although we can store different segment in
different <piece> tags, Paraview seem to regard them as one piece of
data.
For .pvtp format, each component is stored into a different file,
which is not what our client want.

Although we can always create our reader plugin for Paraview, I am
wondering whether there already exists this kind of file format saving
segments in one file, with a segment-selectable Paraview interface.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Jimmy Chen