[Paraview] problems with paraview running on windows

Riedelmeier, Stefan rie at ipat.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Nov 8 02:39:49 EST 2013

Hello,

I'm using paraview version 4.0.1 Windows 64 bit, but the problem also occured with an older version. I have problems when exporting videos or "plotting selection over time". The transient data has about 5000 time steps and the mesh has 1 500 000 cells. All the data is formatted in ensight gold (export from star-ccm+).  When I'm exporting a video, at a certain time step, paraview does no longer export images. Consequently from this certain time step, the video is frozen. When I reduce the number of time steps to for example to 500, the problem did not occur. When I do the same thing on a linux machine, the problem does not occur. My PC has 12 GB RAM - so I think, there are no problems with the memory. A similar problem appears when I am plotting a selection over time. At a certain time step, paraview aborts with an error. I get the following message from windows (sorry the message is in german):

Problemsignatur:
  Problemereignisname:                       APPCRASH
  Anwendungsname:                            paraview.exe
  Anwendungsversion:                         0.0.0.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel:                  51be7198
  Fehlermodulname:                             QtGui4.dll
  Fehlermodulversion:                          4.8.4.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel:                   51959c74
  Ausnahmecode:                                  c00000fd
  Ausnahmeoffset:                                00000000005e1bc7
  Betriebsystemversion:                        6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Gebietsschema-ID:                             1031
  Zusatzinformation 1:                          72cf
  Zusatzinformation 2:                          72cf17a75e78e37b910a6e036550d02a
  Zusatzinformation 3:                          0523
  Zusatzinformation 4:                         0523f1535bf8c8ee986876df2b6b020c

Again, when I do the same on a linux system, the error does not occur. A similar thing appears when I plot over a line and I want to export the line data over the time with "save data".  Again at a certain time step, paraview stops to export .csv files. When I reduce the number of decimal places (number format), paraview achieves to write more .csv files, but still aborts. I already tried to run paraview as administrator and in the compatibility modus. I also deactivated the windows firewall. None of these actions were successful. I am really grateful for every advice. Thanks.

Kind Regards
Stefan