[Paraview] Cannot build ParaView for VS 2010

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Mon Nov 4 09:32:48 EST 2013

Dear Jon,

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Jon Dow <reindeerer57 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am having a really hard time building ParaView for VS 2010 even after
> putting in 2 weeks of dogged effort. All the following attempts were made
> with Visual Studio 2010 with Service Pack1, and with QT add-in installed.

What version of ParaView you are building? Is this the first time you are
trying to build this version?

> Here are the list of troubles I am running into :
>
> 1) For a 64 bit build with Python : The build just hangs midway. For
> instance, it will build 53 projects and then just halt there forever. I
> have to crash Visual Studio at this point. An interesting observation is
> that devenv.exe still keeps running even after I have terminated the Visual
> STudio application from the task manager. For 64 bit build, I build QT
> 4.8.4 from source on my own as per these instructions :
>
> http://www.holoborodko.com/pavel/2011/02/01/how-to-compile-qt-4-7-with-visual-studio-2010/

Did you use any special flags when you attempted to build ParaView (such as
/Mp)

> 2) For a 32 bit build (without Python) : I am able to build ParaView. But
> when I launch ParaView, it crashes if I try to do Volume Rendering. This
> same problem was reported by another person earlier here :
> http://www.mail-archive.com/paraview@paraview.org/msg19197.html

Can you build ParaView in debug mode and send us the stack trace?

> 3) For builds with Visual Studio 2008, the build is successful. But when
> the executable is launched, my debugger breaks into some assembly code and
> the application crashes.

Also, posting your CMakeCache.txt would be useful.

> FYI, I have 24 GB of ram, and a Sandy Bridge core i&-3930K CPU, and my
> build tools work fine except while building ParaView.

- Aashish