[Paraview] Cannot build ParaView for VS 2010

Jon Dow reindeerer57 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 18:12:17 EST 2013

Hi.

I am having a really hard time building ParaView for VS 2010 even after
putting in 2 weeks of dogged effort. All the following attempts were made
with Visual Studio 2010 with Service Pack1, and with QT add-in installed.

Here are the list of troubles I am running into :

1) For a 64 bit build with Python : The build just hangs midway. For
instance, it will build 53 projects and then just halt there forever. I
have to crash Visual Studio at this point. An interesting observation is
that devenv.exe still keeps running even after I have terminated the Visual
STudio application from the task manager. For 64 bit build, I build QT
4.8.4 from source on my own as per these instructions :
http://www.holoborodko.com/pavel/2011/02/01/how-to-compile-qt-4-7-with-visual-studio-2010/

2) For a 32 bit build (without Python) : I am able to build ParaView. But
when I launch ParaView, it crashes if I try to do Volume Rendering. This
same problem was reported by another person earlier here :
http://www.mail-archive.com/paraview@paraview.org/msg19197.html

3) For builds with Visual Studio 2008, the build is successful. But when
the executable is launched, my debugger breaks into some assembly code and
the application crashes.

FYI, I have 24 GB of ram, and a Sandy Bridge core i&-3930K CPU, and my
build tools work fine except while building ParaView.

Thanks.