[Paraview] Laramie Immersive Visualization Bootcamp

Bill Sherman shermanw at indiana.edu
Wed May 1 15:21:06 EDT 2013

Greetings ParaView community,

Indiana University, in conjunction with the University of Wyoming, Idaho
National Lab and Kitware Inc. will be holding the second of two bootcamps
on immersive visualization.

The first one, held the week after IEEE VR 2013 went well, though a
snowstorm
blasting through central Indiana that week did wreak a little havoc.
Other than that though, we had a great time:
     - http://wiki.iq-station.com/index.php?title=Bootcamp_IUPUI

We'll be holding the second bootcamp at the School for Energy Resources
(SER) at the University of Wyoming in Laramie from June 12-14.  The
SER has a brand-new CAVE and a software suite aimed at immersive
visualization.  Registration for the second bootcamp is now open:
     - http://iq-station.org/bootcamp.html

Of course, we'll be talking about the new VR plugin for ParaView among
other topics.  The full announcement is below.

     Thank you,
     Bill

---
Bill Sherman
Sr. Technology Advisor
Advanced Visualization Lab
Pervasive Technology Inst
Indiana University
shermanw at indiana.edu

Indiana University is leading a pair of bootcamps on Immersive
Visualization software in conjunction with the Idaho National Lab,
the University of Wyoming, and Kitware Inc.  We have organized two of
these bootcamps (both basically the same).  The first event, held
in Indianapolis in March was well received, and we have now opened
registration for the Western bootcamp to be held in Laramie Wyoming
in the new Energy Innovation Center (EIC), using the brand new immersive
visualization facilities of the School of Energy Resources (SER).

Each bootcamp is a full two-day event (but spread over three days).
The cost is $200/person -- basically for food and minor expenses.

The overall theme is a how-to session for open-source visualization
software in VR (leaning toward CAVE-style) environments.  Some of the
software is Unix-variant oriented, and a handful will work on Windows.
Presentations are geared toward teams that make immersive facilities
available for scientific analysis, and for scientists seeking tools
that can help them take advantage of existing facilities.

Planned topics include:
         * General Purpose Vis (Immersive ParaView)
         * Point-cloud data (LidarViewer)
         * Volume Rendering (Toirt Samhlaigh)
         * Molecular viewer (VMD)
         * Matlab VR interface
         * Archeology Vis with CalVR
         * System configuration
         * Low-cost Immersive Systems
         * Human Computer Interface considerations
         * Workflow examples at INL
         * Interaction capabilities

Registration is now open for the second, "Western", bootcamp to be held
at the University of Wyoming June 12-14.  The material presented will
generally follow the same syllabus as the Indianapolis bootcamp.

A web page with further information and how to register is at:
     - http://iq-station.org/bootcamp.html

A wiki entry on the bootcamp held in Indanapolis is available at:
     - http://wiki.iq-station.com/index.php?title=Bootcamp_IUPUI

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Also feel free to pass along
to anyone who might be interested.