[Paraview] Paraview hangs when using changing geometries and binary ensight gold format

Georg Hammerl hammerl at lnm.mw.tum.de
Tue Mar 5 09:55:46 EST 2013

Hello again,

In the meantime I have found the problem with the binary ensight gold
reader.

Whenever the variable-files are read for a time steps greater than 1,
Paraview has to jump in the binary file to the desired timestep. This is
done by partially parsing and skipping blocks until the correct "BEGIN
TIME STEP" is found. In order to skip the correct block length, Paraview
uses the number of points (numPts) from the current geometry step. This
breaks with a varying number of points per timestep.
As an example my first step contains 2 points and the second step 6
points, therefore when Paraview skips the first time step, it skips a
block length equivalent to 6 points. The correct number would be 2
points. It therefore skips past the next "BEGIN TIME STEP".

In order to verify my theory I have implemented a little hack which
looks for the next "BEGIN TIME STEP" by brute force. In case someone
wants to try this I have attached a patch which can be used in
conjunction with the examples in my previous mail.

A clean solution would be to skip the correct number of points for every
given timestep. Unfortunately I do not have enough insight into the
Paraview/VTK ensight reader to implement this and would appreciate any
help in finding a clean solution to this.

Cheers,

Georg