[Paraview] Function attribute in Xdmf/HDF5 format

Jason Fleming jason.fleming at seahorsecoastal.com
Tue Jun 18 10:57:14 EDT 2013

Hello Raúl

I'm not sure how complete the XML implementation is in the XDMF library
either. For example, I tried to use XPath to avoid repeating the XML for my
mesh geometry at every timestep, but could not get it to work successfully.
I ended up having to repeat the writing of the same XML over and over.
Perhaps the XDMF library supports XPath, but the ParaView XDMF reader does
not?

I've successfully used JOIN as well. But I've never tried WHERE.

And I think your suggestion of using Fortran style operators like GT, LT,
etc is excellent.

But I'm not even sure who to talk to about implementing such an improvement
into XDMF. Can anyone on this list tell us?

Cheers
Jason

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Raúl de la Cruz <delacruz at bsc.es> wrote:

> Hi Paraview users/developers,
>
> I am generating some output data in Xdmf/HDF5 format which I want to
> visualize later with Paraview. I have seen that the current Xdmf support
> in Paraview is a bit flawed and is not completed for some complex Xdmf
> Entities, eg. DataItem with Functions.
>
> I have been able to use "JOIN()" function correctly, however "WHERE()"
> is causing SegFaults or results are wrong using last Paraview-3.98
> version. Furthermore, I have seen that some operators for Function
> attribute in Xdmf Attributes are 'nasty'. Let me explain a little bit:
>
> * "WHERE()" function in Xdmf supports filtering some data if the
> sentence given is true. For instance, "WHERE($0 == 10.0)" would show
> only those attributes values where the value is equal 10. It also works
> with '<' or '>' operators. The point is that '<' and '>' are protected
> keywords in Xml and they cannot be used like that in Xdmf files, we have
> to use '&lt' and '&gt'. However, these operators don't work neither in
> Paraview and a segfault is given.
>
> I don't know if this is the best place, but my recommendation would be
> to use 'EQ', 'NE', 'LT', 'GT' keywords for Function operators (similar
> to Fortran ones for instance) instead of the current ones.
>
> What are the plans about a full support of Xdmf standard?
> Anyone has any further experience with this in Paraview? Any help would
> be appreciated.
>
> P.D.: I am attaching the examples if anybody wants to play a little bit
> with Xdmf and Function operators in Paraview.
>

> Best regards,
> Raúl
>
> --
>   Copyright protects software. Patents protect software monopolies.
>           -- NO to software patents (http://swpat.ffii.org)
>   .-_ ___   Raúl de la Cruz Martínez           E-mail: delacruz at bsc.es
>  / / /   \  Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC)    http://www.bsc.es
>  \_\_\___/  C/Gran Capità 2-4, NexusI, Despacho 204.  Barcelona, SPAIN
>

> WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
> individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
> from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
> recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
> intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
> distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have
> received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
> destroy and delete any copies you may have received.
>
> http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer

Dr. Jason G. Fleming
Chief Engineer, Seahorse Coastal Consulting
3103 Mandy Ln
Morehead City, NC 28557
Tel: (252) 726-6323
Mobile: (252) 269-0962