[Paraview] Function attribute in Xdmf/HDF5 format

Raúl de la Cruz delacruz at bsc.es
Tue Jun 18 10:21:51 EDT 2013

Hi Paraview users/developers,

I am generating some output data in Xdmf/HDF5 format which I want to
visualize later with Paraview. I have seen that the current Xdmf support
in Paraview is a bit flawed and is not completed for some complex Xdmf
Entities, eg. DataItem with Functions.

I have been able to use "JOIN()" function correctly, however "WHERE()"
is causing SegFaults or results are wrong using last Paraview-3.98
version. Furthermore, I have seen that some operators for Function
attribute in Xdmf Attributes are 'nasty'. Let me explain a little bit:

* "WHERE()" function in Xdmf supports filtering some data if the
sentence given is true. For instance, "WHERE($0 == 10.0)" would show
only those attributes values where the value is equal 10. It also works
with '<' or '>' operators. The point is that '<' and '>' are protected
keywords in Xml and they cannot be used like that in Xdmf files, we have
to use '&lt' and '&gt'. However, these operators don't work neither in
Paraview and a segfault is given.

I don't know if this is the best place, but my recommendation would be
to use 'EQ', 'NE', 'LT', 'GT' keywords for Function operators (similar
to Fortran ones for instance) instead of the current ones.

What are the plans about a full support of Xdmf standard?
Anyone has any further experience with this in Paraview? Any help would
be appreciated.

P.D.: I am attaching the examples if anybody wants to play a little bit
with Xdmf and Function operators in Paraview.

Best regards,
Raúl

--
  Copyright protects software. Patents protect software monopolies.
          -- NO to software patents (http://swpat.ffii.org)
  .-_ ___   Raúl de la Cruz Martínez           E-mail: delacruz at bsc.es
 / / /   \  Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC)    http://www.bsc.es
| | | BSC | http://people.ac.upc.edu/delacruz    Tel: +34 93-405 42 94
 \_\_\___/  C/Gran Capità 2-4, NexusI, Despacho 204.  Barcelona, SPAIN

WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
destroy and delete any copies you may have received.

http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer