[Paraview] Help with batch processing and loops

Ian Krukow i.krukow at tu-braunschweig.de
Sat Jun 1 05:43:16 EDT 2013

Hi Nikos,

I think, there are basically two different ways of doing this.

You can set up your visualization in the ParaView GUI, and then write a
small python script, that changes the filename and saves the images.
That would look something like this (not tested):

filenames = [list of filenames]
source = GetActiveSource()
for f in filenames:
   source.FileNames = [f]
   Render()
   WriteImage(f+'.png')

For GetActiveSource you have to select the reader first (maybe someone
has a better way of doing this). You can execute the script with the
Python Shell.
For details of python syntax, I recommend
http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html (you don't have to do the
whole tutorial).

The other way is to record your pipeline with the trace tool (see
http://paraview.org/Wiki/Python_GUI_Tools). Then you can do the same
loop in the python script, and just execute the script via command line.

Kind regards
Ian