[Paraview] RE : Co-processing (in situ visu) : vtkCoProcessorImplementation is not built

HOUSSEN Franck Franck.Houssen at cea.fr
Sun Jul 28 17:56:10 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am new to Paraview, so, my questions seems to look obvious... Sorry about that.

At first I believed Catalyst was a sort of "add-on" to put on top of Paraview : so I built from source ParaView-v4.0.1-source.tgz one the one hand, and, catalyst-base-1.0.alpha.tgz on the other hand (believing I will need both).
I seems I have succeeded to run the CxxFullExample from https://github.com/acbauer/CatalystExampleCode :
1. I compiled the CxxFullExample pointing ONLY at the Paraview install directory (using Paraview_DIR in cmake) but I did NOT use the Catalyst install directory
2. I run mpirun -n 2 ./FEDriver feslicescript.py => I get fullgrid* and slice* files that are to be post-processed by Paraview while the simulation is running

My understanding is that I do not need the catalyst install if I build Paraview with build options from the "old" wiki page  http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/CoProcessing ? I am correct : using correct build options, Catalyst wiil be included in Paraview, right ? Catalyst is not an "add-on" (that you first need to link to, to be able, in a second step, to "do stuffs" with Paraview) , right ? Catalyst is more like a kind of "batch mode of Paraview" that extracts the necessary bunch of code from Paraview that enables to create the fullgrid* and slice* files without necessary need to install (the full version of) Paraview, right ?

Do I understand correctly ?

Also, is there a way to control the simulation live : is there a way to create commands like "run", "stop", "do one more iteration, stop and update live plots on screen" using a kind of client/server communication pattern ? (server = simulation running on a cluster, client = paraview running on a laptop). As far as I understand, with a Python script I can generate output to post-process while the simulation is running, but I can not control it (stop, run, step, select more or less stuffs to save for the current time iteration), right ?

Thanks,

FH