[Paraview] How to stop ParaView from triangulating imported cells

Pieter Barendrecht p.j.barendrecht at student.tue.nl
Thu Jul 18 13:17:36 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm wondering how to prevent ParaView from (visually) triangulating the imported cells. To illustrate the problem, I attached a minimal example (2.3 kB) to this email. It contains a heavily discretized version of a parametric surface, consisting of 20 cells (quads).

These quads are in fact non-planar, so I understand why ParaView triangulates them for plotting purposes. However, when I export the scene as an .x3d file, it actually exports the triangles instead of the quads.

Two questions:
- Is it possible to display the edges of the actual cells (i.e. the quads) in ParaView (i.e. in 'WireFrame' mode or in 'Surface with Edges' mode)
- Is it possible to export the actual cells instead of these triangles

Best regards,
Pieter