[Paraview] Importing all vtk modules with ParaView

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Tue Jul 16 09:59:15 EDT 2013

Hi,

I think that ParaView's python package should provide a mechanism to import
all vtk modules.  The site-packages/paraview/vtk directory includes .py
files for each vtk module, but the __init__.py file only imports a subset
of them.  As far as I can tell, it's up to the user to import individual
modules by name.

Here's a code snippet that inspects the site-packages/paraview/vtk
directory and imports all vtk*.py files.

import os
import glob

try:
    # this works for vtkpython
    from vtk import *

except ImportError:

    # this works for pvpython
    import paraview.vtk
    baseDir = os.path.dirname(paraview.vtk.__file__)
    for f in glob.glob(os.path.join(baseDir, 'vtk*.py')):
        moduleName = os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(f))[0]
        exec('from paraview.vtk.%s import *' % moduleName)

I usually put this code into a file named vtkAll.py and then my scripts can
do:

import vtkAll as vtk

And that will work with vtkpython and pvpython.

Pat