[Paraview] PV 3.14.1 and 4.01 Calculator error

Sean Ziegeler sean.ziegeler at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue Jul 2 13:16:49 EDT 2013

Yes, I noticed the calculator doing that as well.  I think the intended
behavior is to insert the text wherever the cursor was last placed.  And
if the cursor was never manually placed anywhere, it would append it to
the end.  It seems to be resetting the cursor to the first position instead.

For now, I just type everything in.

On 07/02/13 10:00, Stephen Wornom wrote:
> Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
>> What's the "**" operator? I don't think the calculator supports a "**"
> You are correct, my error.
>> use "*" for multiply or "^" for power. Also what's the "Function"
>> you're typing in the Calculator. I ask since the errors says "see
>> position 15" but "K**2" doesn't have 15 characters.
> I have a 64-bit linux machine so I downloaded the 64-bit version of 4.01.
> However, I write my PV files are 32-bits (or at least the files say
> 32-bit), could that be a source of confusion for the 64-bit PV?
> Maybe this was done when we had bot 32-bit and 64-bit machines. I will
> write 64-bit hereafter to avoid any problem.
>
> _*2nd-Point*_: when using the calculator with 4.01
> If I want to calculate
> 0.09*Density*K^2/Epsilon
> I enter
> 0.09 and select *
> I get
> *0.09 and not 0.09*
> then I select the scalar Density
> I get
> Density0.09* and NOT
> 0.09*Density (or Density*0.09)
> older version use left-to-right entries but 4.01 uses right-to-left entries
> Hope this makes some sense.
> Thanks,
> Stephen
>>
>> Utkarsh
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Stephen Wornom
>> <stephen.wornom at inria.fr> wrote:
>>> I have a real variable named K (as in K-Epsilon)
>>> When I compute K**2 using the calculator I get this error using the
>>> downloaded 64-bit binaries.
>>>
>>> ERROR: In
>>> /home/utkarsh/Kitware/superbuild/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/Common/vtkFunctionParser.cxx,
>>>
>>> line 1480
>>>
>>> vtkFunctionParser (0x1e592530): Syntax error: expecting a variable
>>> name; see
>>> position 15
>>>

>>> Is there an easy way to tell the calculator that K is real and NOT
>>> integer?
>>> Thanks,