[Paraview] Not being able to connect to pvserver

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Thu Jan 31 12:32:51 EST 2013

Hi Pradeep,

> servermanger.Connect("amber")
>
>               What is amber? I tried replacing it by the IP of my
> pvserver, the server name etc. but nothing seems to be working.
You'll make things immensely easier on yourself if you use ssh tunnels
for remote connections. In that case you connect to one end of the
tunnel bound to a port on your client ("localhost").

to answer your question: amber is a host name.

Re: questions about python, the best source of information is the file
"simple.py" in your source tree (in python cli there's also
"help(funcname)"). For example:

def Connect(ds_host=None, ds_port=11111, rs_host=None, rs_port=11111):
       """Creates a connection to a server. Example usage:
       > Connect("amber") # Connect to a single server at default port
       > Connect("amber", 12345) # Connect to a single server at port 12345
       > Connect("amber", 11111, "vis_cluster", 11111) # connect to data
server, render server pair"""

> While connecting to my pvserver from the GUI, when I try to use the
> "-display" flag as mentioned on this page
> <http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Setting_up_a_ParaView_Server#X_Connections> using
> the following command on my remote machine:
I've always managed to get by with the environment variable DISPLAY.

> Is this related to OSMesa? I still haven't installed PV with OSMesa
> support.
DISPLAY is an X11 parameter. With OSMesa you shouldn't need to set DISPLAY.

>   * I am not able to reproduce this error all the time. But often,
>     while I am working on my local client GUI connected to the
>     pvserver, sometimes PV stops communicating to the server giving
>     the following errors in the terminal:

>              ERROR: In
> /Users/pradeep/softwares/ParaView/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx,
>              line 572 vtkClientSocket (0x7fd0fcc3ef60): Socket error
> in call to send. Broken pipe.
99.999999999999% of the time that's a result of the server unexpectedly
terminating. You should be able to check the terminal output of the
server for clues about what happened.