[Paraview] Not being able to connect to pvserver

Pradeep Jha pradeep.kumar.jha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 04:42:09 EST 2013

Hello,

I have some more questions.

How do I connect to the remote server using pvpython from command line? All the online instructions have this example:

              servermanger.Connect("amber")

              What is amber? I tried replacing it by the IP of my pvserver, the server name etc. but nothing seems to be working.

While connecting to my pvserver from the GUI, when I try to use the "-display" flag as mentioned on this page using the following command on my remote machine:

             "/usr/lib64/openmpi/1.4-gcc/bin//mpirun -np 1 /usr/local/bin//pvserver -rc -ch=133.6.71.88 --server-port=11111 -display:0.0"

	      It doesn't work giving me the following error:

              "Got unknown argument: -display:0.0".

               Is this related to OSMesa? I still haven't installed PV with OSMesa support.

I am not able to reproduce this error all the time. But often, while I am working on my local client GUI connected to the pvserver, sometimes PV stops communicating to the server giving the following errors in the terminal:

             ERROR: In /Users/pradeep/softwares/ParaView/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx,
             line 572 vtkClientSocket (0x7fd0fcc3ef60): Socket error in call to send. Broken pipe.

             ERROR: In /Users/pradeep/softwares/ParaView/VTK/Parallel/Core/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, line 735
             vtkSocketCommunicator (0x7fd0fcc366f0): Could not send tag.

             ERROR: In /Users/pradeep/softwares/ParaView/VTK/Parallel/Core/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, line 812
             vtkSocketCommunicator (0x7fd0fcc366f0): Could not receive tag. 41232

             ERROR: In /Users/pradeep/softwares/ParaView/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx, line 572
             vtkClientSocket (0x7fd0fcc3ef60): Socket error in call to send. Broken pipe.

            Right now this is happening quite randomly and I am not able to trace what exactly am I doing to cause this error.

Thanks,
Pradeep